Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Mellow Mushroom

 



πŸ„ Mellow Mushroom Burger Review πŸ„


Overall Thought:


Appearance: 4/5


Now this is how a burger should look. 

This thing rolled out looking like a magazine cover model for burgers. Stacked sky-high with fresh lettuce, tomato, onion, plenty of bacon, and a generous blanket of melted cheese. It had all the visual cues of greatness. 

The moment it hit the table, my mouth started watering. I was ready. My taste buds were lining up. Expectations were soaring. 

Unfortunately, appearance and performance ended up being in two different zip codes. 



Bun: 6/10


A classic white bread bun doing exactly what it was hired to do. 

It looked lightly toasted, held everything together, and never once threatened structural collapse. No soggy bottom. No disintegration halfway through. Just steady, dependable bun behavior from start to finish. 

That said, it brought absolutely nothing to the flavor party. No buttery notes. No toastiness. No personality. It was basically the burger equivalent of a folding chair. 



Meat: 22/30


The meat is supposed to be the headliner. 

This burger's meat showed up, took the stage, grabbed the microphone... and then stood there in complete silence. 

There was almost no flavor coming from the patties themselves. I kept searching for that savory, beefy goodness, but it never materialized. The bacon tried its best to carry the load, and occasionally I could taste it enough to remind me something was happening, but it wasn't nearly enough to rescue the burger. 

For a double-patty burger, flavor should not be this hard to find. 



Cheese: 10/15


This score hurts. 

Visually, this burger was absolutely loaded with cheese. Every patty was covered. There was melted goodness everywhere. On paper, this should have been a slam dunk. 

And yet somehow, every bite delivered only the faintest whisper of cheese. 

Not a shout. Not even a conversation. 

Just a polite little "hello" before disappearing entirely. 

When you can clearly see all that cheese and barely taste it, disappointment starts setting in. 



Veggies: 12/15


The veggies did a lot of the heavy lifting here. 

There was plenty of lettuce, tomato, and onion, which is always appreciated. The tomato looked the part but lacked the juicy freshness you hope for. The onion actually had a pretty nice flavor and brought some life to the burger. 

But the true MVP was the lettuce. 

Crispy. Fresh. Crunchy. 

And that's a problem. 

Nothing good comes from a burger where the lettuce is stealing the spotlight from the beef and cheese. When your brightest star is a leafy green, something has gone terribly wrong upstream. 



Dressing: 6/10


This was advertised as Mel's Secret Sauce. 

Those words set expectations. 

I was imagining something creamy, unique, flavorful, and memorable. Something that tied the whole burger together. 

Instead, what I got was mostly bland with a noticeable spice kick. 

Ironically, this sauce ended up being the most consistent source of flavor on the entire burger. Without it, I'm not sure the burger would have had much personality at all. 

The sauce wasn't bad. 

It just wasn't worthy of the "secret sauce" hype. 



Messiness: 1/5


I used half a napkin. 

Half. 

That's the review. 

A great burger should at least make you question your life choices halfway through eating it. This thing barely made me wipe my hands. 



Burgerness: 6/10


Every great burger has a moment. 

That first bite where your eyes widen and you immediately know you're onto something special. 

This burger never had that moment. 

What we got was two slabs of mostly flavorless meat on a bun with toppings. It checked all the burger boxes mechanically, but there was no excitement, no creativity, and no wow factor. 

It was technically a burger. 

That's about the nicest thing I can say. 



Final Verdict: 67/100


I probably should have seen this coming. 

After all, Mellow Mushroom is a pizza place that happens to serve burgers. I got lucky at the last non-burger joint I reviewed and started believing lightning might strike twice. 

It did not. 

This burger wasn't awful. It wasn't even bad. It was simply one of the blandest burgers I've had in quite some time. Everything looked right. Everything was assembled correctly. The ingredients seemed fine. 

The flavor just never showed up. 

Would I go back to Mellow Mushroom? 

Absolutely. 

Would I order this burger again? 

Honestly... maybe. 

The burger was so unbelievably bland that I'm almost suspicious. It was so lacking in flavor that part of me wonders if I caught it on an off day. Maybe the seasoning got left in the kitchen. Maybe someone forgot a step. Maybe there's more to this story. 

A retest may be necessary. 

For now, this burger earns a 67/100. Not because it failed spectacularly, but because it never really showed up to compete. 

Stay tuned. The sequel review might be coming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Downtown Flavortown

Date of Visit August 22nd 2026 Downtown Flavortown The Real CHEEZY Appearance – 4 pts This burger looked exactly how a burger should l...